Welcome to CXB
Is Facebook spying on us? Is it really true? In recent time, there has been ongoing a lot of debate and discussion about Facebook’s spying on us
The founder and CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg has confirmed being constantly eyeing Facebook users’ messages and data in a recent interview at the global platform.
The latest news shows that Facebook’s privacy is just corrupted and leaked around 87 million user’s information without their permission and knowledge and it is confirmed by Cambridge Analytica. Among those millions, about 5.6 lakhs were Indian users.
If you use Facebook, you may already know that Facebook tracks you and stores a lot of information on you. The social media giant has an enormous amount of information on its users. You might not think much about it but in reality, they really do know a lot about you. Your likes/dislikes, where have you been, who are your friends and so much more, plus you have probably seen ads that are all personalized based on your likes and dislikes.
Facebook’s record on tracking and privacy is dire. In 2018, there was the Cambridge Analytica scandal. In 2019, the FTC fined Facebook $5 billion for failing to protect data from third-parties.
The EU fined Facebook $122 million for submitting misleading information about its WhatsApp takeover (they said they weren’t going to link data, then did exactly that). The UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office fined Facebook the utterly laughable amount of £500,000 for breaching data privacy rules.
So, it is too important to protect our privacy and data from the great Facebook
In this blog, I will tell you 8 methods to stop Facebook to penetrates your privacy and data
Methods that can stop Facebook spying on you are:
1. Location–Facebook is notorious for capturing user data to create profiles that advertisers can target and that includes the location data from your phone. If that makes you uncomfortable, you can stop the Facebook mobile app from tracking your location completely, or allow it to do so only when you’re using the app.
- Launch the Facebook app on your phone, and then go to Settings and Privacy and tap on Settings.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and tap on the Location option.
- Tap onLocation Services to turn on or turn off location tracking.
- The Background Location option allows you to choose whether you want to allow Facebook to track your location even when you’re not using the app.
On iOS devices,
It’s Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Facebook > Never.
2. Microphone- While Facebook might not be listening through your phone’s microphone, some apps definitely are. So, disable the microphone to those apps which don’t need it anyway to function.
Go to Settings>Select Apps/Manage Apps
Find Facebook, and
Tap “App permissions”
Then turn the slider to OFF
On iOS devices, Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone > Facebook and again slide it off.
3. Protect Feature
Do not click on “secure”
Never click on Facebook’s “Security” feature. As mentioned, it is effectively like installing spyware on your device
Do not use Facebook Guard Feature
4. Install a trusted VPN and anonymous browsers
Use a VPN (not Facebook’s Onavo). A VPN will secure and encrypt your private data and protect you from hackers. A VPN will ensure you browse the web anonymously, meaning no one—even your Internet Service Provider—will be able to see what websites you’re visiting online. And a trusted VPN will NEVER share or store your IP address
Which are more secure and safe
I will also advise you to use free VPN services like Psiphon, touchvpn
All are available on Android/IOS/Windows/Mac/Linux
Use a Privacy-Focused Alternative Browser
Most of the user in the world uses Google’s Chrome browser For accessing facebook, So you are being tracked. But you don’t have to fear your browser tracking your online activity. There are several privacy-protection browser alternatives are available So, you can use them to stop Facebook tracking.
5. Avoid Re-Register Any Loyalty Cards and Government ID’s
You have to use your loyalty cards when you buy foodstuffs, groceries, and other belongings but don’t register a card on Facebook that has your own name, address, and phone number, and more personal details. Take the card that won’t let anyone tracks you.
Sometimes you get blocked by Facebook for breaching its terms and policies The main reason behind this is you are posting illegal and violating content then facebooks asks for personal documents such as Driver’s license, social security number, Voter Card, and so on to unlock the account.
Please don’t give your government ids and forget that blocked account and start a new one. and also don’t post illegal and communalism related post that violates Facebook terms and condition.
6. Stop targeted ads